Friday, September 22, 2017

Sewing Project: 1700s Colonial Williamsburg printed gown


I have been absent from the blog this summer, mostly due to our numerous travels and road trips. Which have been absolutely amazing can't lie. But I am sorry for my post neglect.  Now that I am home long enough to get a post together, I'm very excited to share one of my biggest sewing projects! Our church's teen history trip in July spent two days in Colonial Williamsurg, and I spent a few weeks leading up to the trip sewing a historical gown for the occasion.  It was 100 degrees outside those two days, but it was completely worth it. ;)

This is my second attempt at an 18th Century dress, but my first where I looked for historical accuracy.  I ordered the fabric in specifically from Williamsburg and set to altering a pattern.  There are also several layers under the dress to give it the proper shape of the times: Shift; Stockings; Stays; Pocket; Bum-roll/hip-roll; Petticoat; Neckerchief; Dress. (Perhaps I should do a post on all of the underpinnings later?)  The stomacher (front panel) of the dress is removable, and the petticoat ties shut.

Now, I did my research, but there are several nuances that I was not sure of, so I bought myself two books while there to hopefully help in the future.  I know there are seamstresses out there who are more well-versed in historical sewing than I am, so if you have any tips I would love to hear them! I feel as though I should have another petticoat, and perhaps a lighter neckerchief (although it actually does match in person.) The sleeves are a bit off, but they were so tricky I wasn't going to try and alter the pattern there any more. My stays could have been laced a bit tighter but...it was hot. Also, I believe I should have a hat, or at least some head covering, but I was low on packing space and my hat did not quite work with my dress. All of that aside, I was very excited with the way it turned out.  Really, nothing beats going to such a historical place and feeling like you a truly a part of it! 



7 comments:

  1. Stunning! You have a real talent. I am obsessing over your choice of fabric. The pattern and colors are so lovely and summery. The detail, too. Wow.
    Can you make me one please??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I love the fabric too: the Williamsburg website and store has several gorgeous prints based on real, time period textiles.
      You are too kind. :) well, in all honesty I probably /could/ make you one, but I can't deny the expense of all the material and supplies. But hey! If it's ever something you were seriously interested in you could totally email me!

      Delete
  2. What a stunning beauty you are! The dress suits you so well! Great job! I can tell you worked really hard on this project! I would love any further posts regarding this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, your comments always make me smile! Thanks so much! I'd definitely like to have more sewing projects and history posts. You've done several projects yourself, did you have any thoughts or tips?

      Delete
  3. Awe, so very pretty as are you! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this is absolutely amazing, Skyeler!! Seriously, you are so talented. I looove the fabric you chose; the print and colors are so lovely! I'm sure it must have been fun to walk around Colonial Williamsburg in a historically-accurate gown--well, aside from the heat! ;P

    ReplyDelete